Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Alice in Space - in Color!

At this in time point I got busy with a ton of projects, going to comic-con for the first time, and getting ready for my mission so I stopped posting in the Mentorship forum but I kept working on the characters. I really struggled with feeling like anything I drew had that illusion of life...they all seemed so dead...so I decided to draw the queen in 100 different poses/expressions to force myself out of my comfort zone. I attacked that goal with gusto and by the end I felt like I had overcome some wall - It was a great feeling. The page below was just a page of some of my favorites from the results. I still have alot to learn and I want to continue pushing myself but I admit I was super happy with that feeling of something starting to click. I also created a page of color variations for Alice.


Back to the Future...aka Present - October 4th, 2011, 2:24 am
After having plenty of time of time away from these, I feel like I can finally see them with fresh eyes. I need to totally redo the King and take a fresh clean pass at the all my characters. I know now that my lack of solid plot and character development has led me to fight myself a ton during this process. Who are they really? I kept changing my mind and that made it hard for me to push the designs and make decisions. I didn't really know who they were so I was trying to make up for that confusion by creating tons of variations and hoping one would just look cool enough to work. Story is everything! So I'm now working that out so I can take a fresh pass at this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment